The RIT Information Products Laboratory for Emergency Response (IPLER) and the UB Center for Geohazards Studies are pleased to announce a joint workshop on the application of remote sensing for disaster response and the science of geohazards, to be held at the RIT campus in Rochester, NY during May 30-June 1, 2012.
Disaster can strike anywhere and at any time and place; however, our "geospatial response" to disasters can be improved through the use of remote sensing technology and knowledge of geohazard phenomenology. The RIT-UB IPLER program seeks to stimulate innovation in the remote sensing industry by (i) working with the disaster response community to understand their information needs and operational limitations, (ii) introducing them to the capabilities of remote sensing technology, and (iii) conducting research to improve our response to and mitigation of disaster events.
- Keynote speakers from federal agencies as well as the commercial sector
- Ms. Brenda Jones (United States Geological Survey; Disaster Response Coordinator)
- Dr. Matthew Pritchard (Cornell University; Earth and Atmospheric Sciences)
- Mr. Ron Eguchi (ImageCat Inc.; President & CEO)
- Dr. Shay Har-Noy (Tomnod Inc.; CEO)
- Meet fellow attendees from industry, academia, and government
- Listen to talks and roundtable discussions, including student presentations on their latest research and hear about IPLER remote sensing support to the 2011 Japan earthquake and tsunami and recent flooding in New York State (storms Irene and Lee)
- Participate in learning workshops dealing with the use of remote sensing systems (selection, tasking, and data processing)
- Travel by complimentary bus to an on-site workshop hosted at UB by the Center for Geohazards Studies
- Observe a demonstration of an airborne remote sensing system, image collection, processing, and dissemination, all in real-time (weather permitting)
- Free lunch (yes there is such a thing) and dinner will be provided to attendees on Days 1 and 2.
- Registration cost: Free - please REGISTER HERE
- Posters from both the industry and students/researchers are encouraged – please indicate this during the registration process and contact Mr. Don McKeown for more details.
- Lodging: Available at the Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport located on the RIT campus as well as other nearby hotels (please see hotel list). Note: Hotel registration deadline is May 8, 2012.
- Directions: Directions To RIT Campus
- Agenda: IPLER-CGHS 2012 Workshop Agenda
- Contact: Via e-mail Mr. Don McKeown or 585-475-7192
- Sponsors: National Science Foundation Partnerships for Innovation, RIT Digital Imaging and Remote Sensing Lab, and the UB Center for Geohazards Studies
- Registration deadline: May 18, 2012
Disclaimer: This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. IIP-0917839. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.